Kern County is a leading producer of oil, natural gas, hydro-electric power, geothermal, solar and wind power, and is noted for its mineral wealth, including gold, borate, and kernite.
Kern County: Energy Capital of the Nation!
Kern County is the leading energy provider for the State of California and is connected to the strongest players in the global energy industry. With public commitments to renewables coming from the local, state, and federal levels, the industry has become one of the fastest growing nationwide, and much of that growth is taking place in Kern. The region is also gaining attention from the biofuel industry, in part because of our geographic location and accessibility to major markets. Potential uses for the fuel by-product (e.g. dairies which may purchase the by-product for feed) adds to Kern’s appeal.
Kern offers the innovation, education and infrastructure to support pioneering as well as established efforts. From major manufacturing to retail to start ups, Kern has already proven it is a leader for renewable business. Kern County officially committed to the environment, sustainability, and quality of life in the recent Economic Strategy approved by the County Board of Supervisors and implemented by Kern EDC. Our private and public sectors, local utilities, major energy users, nonprofits, and educational institutions are all collaborating to make Kern County the largest producer of renewables in the state.
Major Energy Companies in Kern County
- Aera Energy LLC
- Alon USA Energy, Inc.
- Baker Hughes
- Berry Petroleum Company
- Canary, LLC
- Chevron Corporation
- E&B Natural Resources Management
- EDF Renewable Energy
- First Solar
- GE Energy
- Hess Corporation
- Kern Oil and Refining Co
- Key Energy Services
- Macpherson Energy Corporation
- MidAmerican Solar
- Mt. Poso Cogeneration Company, LLC
- Nabors Industries
- Occidental of Elk Hills, Inc.
- Pioneer Green Energy
- Recurrent Energy
- San Joaquin Refining Co., Inc.
- Schlumberger Co
- Sempra U.S. Gas & Power
- Sun Edison
- SunPower Corporation
- Terra-Gen Power, LLC
- Tricor Refining LLC
- Venoco Inc.
- Vintage Production California
Partial list. Compiled by Kern EDC, February 2014
“Did You Know?”
- If Kern County were a state, it would be the 5th largest oil-producing state in the country.
- Kern County produces 72% of California’s crude oil, and is home to five of the state’s largest oil and gas fields.
- Kern produces 7.4 GW of power generation, enough to power about 7 million homes.
- The solar and wind sector produced $27 billion private investment money and created 8,000 construction jobs and 1,500 operational jobs over the last six years.
- The Coso Geothermal Project, located on the China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station, consists of 9 Geothermal Power Plants each rated at approximately 30 MW. Geothermal power is produced 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, which assists in the stabilization of the utility’s power grid.