Kern County is a leading producer of oil, natural gas, hydro-electric power, geothermal, solar and wind power, and is noted for its mineral wealth, including gold, borate, and kernite.
Kern County: Energy Capital of the Nation!
Kern County is the leading energy provider for the State of California and is connected to the strongest players in the global energy industry. Kern is the No. 2 oil producing county in the
nation, yielding 144 million barrels of oil and 129 billion CF of gas annually, according to the 2015 DOGGR data. Over 72% of California’s oil production and 70% of its gas production come from Kern County.
Kern continues to be a leader in the renewables industry, with over $30 billion in private investment. Kern County officially committed to the environment, sustainability, and quality of life in the recent Economic Strategy approved by the County Board of Supervisors and implemented by Kern EDC. Thanks to a series of private sector success stories in Kern, California is set to exceed its own legal requirement of generating 50 percent of its electricity from renewables such as wind, solar and biomass by 2030.Our private and public sectors, local utilities, major energy users, nonprofits, and educational institutions are all collaborating to make Kern County the largest producer of renewables in the state.
Major Energy Companies in Kern County
- Aera Energy LLC
- Alon USA Energy, Inc.
- Baker Hughes
- Berry Petroleum Company
- Canary, LLC
- Chevron Corporation
- E&B Natural Resources Management
- EDF Renewable Energy
- First Solar
- GE Energy
- Hess Corporation
- Kern Oil and Refining Co
- Key Energy Services
- Macpherson Energy Corporation
- MidAmerican Solar
- Mt. Poso Cogeneration Company, LLC
- Nabors Industries
- Occidental of Elk Hills, Inc.
- Pioneer Green Energy
- Recurrent Energy
- San Joaquin Refining Co., Inc.
- Schlumberger Co
- Sempra U.S. Gas & Power
- Sun Edison
- SunPower Corporation
- Terra-Gen Power, LLC
- Tricor Refining LLC
- Venoco Inc.
- Vintage Production California
Partial list. Compiled by Kern EDC, February 2014
“Did You Know?”
- If Kern County were a state, it would be the 5th largest oil-producing state in the country.
- Kern County produces 72% of California’s crude oil, and is home to five of the state’s largest oil and gas fields.
- Kern produces 7.4 GW of power generation, enough to power about 7 million homes.
- The solar and wind sector produced $30 billion private investment money and created over 1,600 permanent local jobs.
- The Coso Geothermal Project, located on the China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station, consists of 9 Geothermal Power Plants each rated at approximately 30 MW. Geothermal power is produced 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, which assists in the stabilization of the utility’s power grid.
- Kern County is home to the world’s largest solar plant, BHE Renewables’ Solar Star Project.