Businesses looking to relocate or expand in Kern County can find a wide variety of incentives available. The Kern Economic Development Corporation can direct businesses to select federal, state and local economic incentives available to attract new jobs, investment and development.
Kern County Business Recruitment and Job Growth Incentive Initiative
Enhancements to the County’s incentive program include:
- The County will eliminate all caps and special terms on potential sales tax, use tax, and property tax rebates, and will add transient occupancy tax rebates for the first time, setting the stage for opportunities for more meaningful, robust and competitive incentive packages in pursuit of impactful business investment.
- For the first time ever, the County’s incentive agreements will prioritize sustained, full-time job creation, in addition to capital investment, at better-than-living wage rate for Kern County.
- The County will also be expanding the list of targeted industry clusters for these incentives, to include: e-commerce, general manufacturing and destination retail.
- The initiative provides for maximum flexibility in pursuing opportunities with performance-based incentives requiring quantitative thresholds, tested for accountability.
- New business ventures will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis for overall net benefit and value added, with incentives tailored to meet County objectives.
- Employment Training Panel (ETP)– funds offsetting the cost of developing and implementing customized training programs
- America’s Job Center Workforce Investment Act (WIA)– Free assistance, customized recruitment plans, positions advertising, qualifying applicants and hiring
New California Incentives
- Manufacturing equipment + sales and use tax exemption
- New Employment credit between Jan 2014 – Jan 2021.
- California Competes Tax Credit– Criteria includes number of jobs to be created or retained, extent of property in business development area, minimum compensation limitation, and set job retention period.
- Research and Development Tax Credit– Reduces income or franchise tax.
- Sales and Use Tax Exemption for Manufacturing– tax exemption of 4.1875% for basic manufacturing equipment.
- Sales and Use Tax Exemption for Agriculture– tax exemption for the sale, storage, use, or other consumption of farm equipment, and machinery
Foreign Trade Zone 276
- County of Kern Department of Airports
- Tejon Ranch Commerce Center
- Wonderful Industrial Park at Shafter
Recycling Market Development Zone
- Low interest loans and assistance for manufacturers using recycled materials