Businesses looking to relocate or expand in Kern County can find a wide variety of incentives available. The Kern Economic Development Corporation can direct businesses to select federal, state and local economic incentives available to attract new jobs, investment and development.
- Employment Training Panel (ETP)– funds offsetting the cost of developing and implementing customized training programs
- America’s Job Center Workforce Investment Act (WIA)– Free assistance, customized recruitment plans, positions advertising, qualifying applicants and hiring
New California Incentives
- Manufacturing equipment + sales and use tax exemption
- New Employment credit between Jan 2014 – Jan 2021.
- California Competes Tax Credit– Criteria includes number of jobs to be created or retained, extent of property in business development area, minimum compensation limitation, and set job retention period.
- Research and Development Tax Credit– Reduces income or franchise tax.
- Sales and Use Tax Exemption for Manufacturing– tax exemption of 4.1875% for basic manufacturing equipment.
- Sales and Use Tax Exemption for Agriculture– tax exemption for the sale, storage, use, or other consumption of farm equipment, and machinery
Foreign Trade Zone 276
- California City
- County of Kern Department of Airports
- Mojave Airport
- Tejon Ranch Commerce Center
- Wonderful Industrial Park at Shafter
Recycling Market Development Zone
- Low interest loans and assistance for manufacturers using recycled materials
County of Kern Economic Development Incentive Program
Requires the business to meet eligibility criteria and enter into a contract with the County.
- Rebates based on Property Tax payments*
- Rebates based on Sales and Use Tax payments made to the County*
- Assistance in pursuing grant/loan funding from other public agencies
- Other forms of requested assistance as may be approved by the County
* Rebates are actually payments of amounts equivalent to property, sales and/or eligible use tax paid by the business, not rebates in fact.