Driving Distance: 180 Miles
- Take State Route 58 east out of Bakersfield, heading through the rolling hills and orchards. On your way out, don’t miss Murray Family Farms (6700 General Beale Road; 661-330-0100). (31 miles)
- Exit at Keene. The National Chavez Center (29700 Woodford-Tehachapi Road; 661-823-6134).
- Continue east on Tehachapi Road to a railroad engineering marvel. When seen from the historical marker at roadside, the rails of the Tehachapi Loop seem to be making two circles, winding around themselves like a snake. Continue east on State Route 58 to State Route 202. Head left into the city of Tehachapi. (11 miles)
- Don’t miss the Tehachapi Depot Railroad Museum (101 W. Tehachapi Boulevard; 661-823-1100). Return to State Route 58 and travel east through the Tehachapi Pass.
- At the intersection of State Routes 14 and 58 lies Mojave. Mojave Air and Space Port (1434 Flightline Street; 661-824-2433) is the nation’s first FAA-licensed inland spaceport. (21 miles)
- South on State Route 14 you’ll find the town of Rosamond and the famed Willow Springs International Raceway (3500 75th Street West; 661-256-6666), Air Force Flight Test Center Museum at Edwards Air Force Base (405 S. Rosamond Boulevard; 661-277-8050) and the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound (3718 60th Street West; 661-256-3793). (14 miles)
- Drop farther south along State Route 14 toward Lancaster, then take State Route 138 west to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve (15101 Lancaster Road; 661-942-0662). (24 miles)
- Continue west to Interstate 5 then turn north. Along the way visit the Fort Tejon State Historic Park at Lebec (4201 Fort Tejon Road; 661-248-6692). (41 miles)
- Take northbound Interstate 5 to State Route 99 north and head back to Bakersfield to complete your trip.
Image and Driving Tour Source: Kern County Board of Trade; VisitKern.com.